Wednesday, April 14, 2010

An Idea is Born...

As a Stay-At-Home-Mom, I am always looking for ways to save money, earn money, or get something for free, so when I heard about the $20 Bill Challenge on a blog I found today, Life As I See It at http://paulsbride.blogspot.com/2010/04/20-bill-challenge.html , I couldn't wait to get started!

The idea is this: start out with a $20 bill and see how you can use that money to make more! The challenge part comes in when you and your spouse/significant other compete to see who can make the most out of their money by a certain date. I haven't totally convinced my hubby yet but he's pretty competitive so I think I'll get him on that aspect alone :)

Payday is Friday so I'll have to wait patiently to get my nice crisp greenback. But until then I will be busy plotting my first plan of attack.

Here are a few ideas I have come up with already:

Buy 20 lottery tickets and hope for the best (gotcha! but maybe I will buy one here and there... when my numbers are in the black of course)

Buy a few supplies to make hair-bows and sell them. I already have most of what I will need since I have made these in the past.

Bake-sale! I never hear about these anymore; not sure why but I LOVE the idea of all those yummy treats all together in one place (wiping away drool now)... of course, I may end up eating my profits.

Sell some used books and DVDs on www.half.com . I would need to use a few bucks for envelopes for shipping, but should be able to recoup most of that.

REBATES! I just started couponing in February, but I'm hooked (like I-might-need-a-12-step-program hooked). There are a lot of times you can actually make money by buying certain products. A recent example of this was on Scrubbing Bubbles. I used coupons, in-store sales and gift-cards, along with mail-in rebates and made about $9.00 to buy 6 cans of cleaning products.

So there's just a few of my ideas. I hope you'll follow me and even start your own challenge. I would love to hear how this goes for everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Love that you have done this!!
    I am excited to follow your progress!

    I am planning a post in the next week or so with ideas that cost $20 or less, so maybe some will inspire you too, tho you've got a great list already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep an eye out for your ideas... can't wait to see how this goes for everyone. Glad to have my first "follower" too! Thanks again Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph,
    I found your blog through Life As I See It. I love the idea and look forward to reading your progress! I think I might even give it a try myself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete